Tome of Treasures :: View topic - The TSR Bazaar

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

The TSR Bazaar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep
View previous topic :: View next topic  

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is crazy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-ART-OF-DRAGON-MAGAZINE-VERY-RARE_W0QQitemZ270236329043QQihZ017QQcategoryZ44114QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragon #2

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Gygax Unpublished MSS "Quest for the Witherer"

from the auction description....

Quote:
Unpublished Manuscript by E. Gary Gygax: "Digital Dungeons & Dragons: Quest for the Witherer"

This is one of only three known copies of this unpublished adventure written by the late Gary Gygax, author of the Dungeons & Dragons game. It has never before been offered for sale on eBay or anywhere else. The package is 36 pages, including 6 pages of handwritten planning notes, a 1-page map hand-drawn with pencil, and 29 pages of typewritten text, frequently marked with hand-written comments in pencil & ink.

During my tenure as Gary's Creative Aide at TSR, I received copies of most of his creations, some for comments and review and others simply for my files; this falls into the latter category. At the time this was written, Gary was still composing his works on his trusty old typewriter. This was a rough draft, marked in many places with Gary's corrections and addenda. (It was never developed beyond this stage.)

Gary's hand-drawn map is included in this package, as well as six pages of Gary's hand-written notes -- one page directly applicable to the adventure, one page of "special languages", and four pages detailing a party of ten adventurers. It is unclear how this group would have been used in a published (or computerized) version of the adventure, but the list was copied and kept with the manuscript, so Gary must have intended to use them somehow...

The condition of the manuscript is Excellent / Outstanding; it has been in a file, undisturbed, for 25 years. I am retaining one copy for my personal collection.

History

In 1982, the executives at TSR were aware that hobby gaming wouldn't feed them forever. Gary Gygax focused his attention on expansion, and soon headed for Hollywood where he became Executive Producer of the D&D Cartoon Show. Before he left for the coast, Gary wrote this adventure for an experimental D&D computer game. TSR had dabbled in primitive computer games (including one fantasy-based, called "Theseus and the Minotaur" -- on 5 1/4" floppy discs) but they didn't sell well, probably because they were ahead of their time and were also poorly done. But Gary could see that personal computers were a growing trend, and created this solo adventure, [fully] entitled "Digital Dungeons & Dragons: Quest for the Witherer", so that TSR would expand along with the fledgling PC industry.

But while Gary was tied up with the TV show, the TSR executives remaining in Lake Geneva ignored Gary's instructions and in his vision. TSR missed their chance to be a pioneer of home computer games. This manuscript was forgotten, never to fulfill its purpose, and is one of the very few uncirculated treasures of TSR history.

-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-

This item is from the collection of Frank Mentzer, best-selling game author of the 1980s (five Dungeons & Dragons® rules boxed sets: Basic, Expert, Companion, Masters, Immortals) and one of the top game collectors in North America. Mr. Mentzer is also a featured auctioneer at the world's largest game auction at the GenCon® Game Convention (each August in Indianapolis, IN), his annual venue for most of the last 25 years. [Dungeons & Dragons and GenCon are registered trademarks of their respective owners.]

On May-20-08 at 07:02:46 PDT, seller added the following information:

Unpublished Manuscript by E. Gary Gygax: "Digital Dungeons & Dragons: Quest for the Witherer"

This is one of only three known copies of this unpublished adventure written by the late Gary Gygax, author of the Dungeons & Dragons game. It has never before been offered for sale on eBay or anywhere else. The package is 36 pages, including 6 pages of handwritten planning notes, a 1-page map hand-drawn with pencil, and 29 pages of typewritten text, frequently marked with hand-written comments in pencil & ink.

During my tenure as Gary's Creative Aide at TSR, I received copies of most of his creations, some for comments and review and others simply for my files; this falls into the latter category. At the time this was written, Gary was still composing his works on his trusty old typewriter. This was a rough draft, marked in many places with Gary's corrections and addenda. (It was never developed beyond this stage.)

Gary's hand-drawn map is included in this package, as well as six pages of Gary's hand-written notes -- one page directly applicable to the adventure, one page of "special languages", and four pages detailing a party of ten adventurers. It is unclear how this group would have been used in a published (or computerized) version of the adventure, but the list was copied and kept with the manuscript, so Gary must have intended to use them somehow...

The condition of the manuscript is Excellent / Outstanding; it has been in a file, undisturbed, for 25 years. I am retaining one copy for my personal collection.

History

In 1982, the executives at TSR were aware that hobby gaming wouldn't feed them forever. Gary Gygax focused his attention on expansion, and soon headed for Hollywood where he became Executive Producer of the D&D Cartoon Show. Before he left for the coast, Gary wrote this adventure for an experimental D&D computer game. TSR had dabbled in primitive computer games (including one fantasy-based, called "Theseus and the Minotaur" -- on 5 1/4" floppy discs) but they didn't sell well, probably because they were ahead of their time and were also poorly done. But Gary could see that personal computers were a growing trend, and created this solo adventure, [fully] entitled "Digital Dungeons & Dragons: Quest for the Witherer", so that TSR would expand along with the fledgling PC industry.

But while Gary was tied up with the TV show, the TSR executives remaining in Lake Geneva ignored Gary's instructions and in his vision. TSR missed their chance to be a pioneer of home computer games. This manuscript was forgotten, never to fulfill its purpose, and is one of the very few uncirculated treasures of TSR history.

Legal Edit/Addendum: This sale offering is only of this single copy of the work. No publication or distribution rights are included in this sale. Good Faith Attribution: There is no copyright notice on the piece, but pursuant to the 1978 U.S. Copyright Law, we must presume that this Work (i.e. the content, the text and graphics of which this is a copy) is Copyright (c) E. Gary Gygax and/or his corporation, i.e. Trigee Enterprises Corp. of Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, USA.

-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-

This item is from the collection of Frank Mentzer, best-selling game author of the 1980s (five Dungeons & Dragons® rules boxed sets: Basic, Expert, Companion, Masters, Immortals) and one of the top game collectors in North America. Mr. Mentzer is also a featured auctioneer at the world's largest game auction at the GenCon® Game Convention (each August in Indianapolis, IN), his annual venue for most of the last 25 years. [Dungeons & Dragons and GenCon are registered trademarks of their respective owners.]

On May-20-08 at 10:08:20 PDT, seller added the following information:

Harrumph. Apologies for the above duplication. (Been a while since I sold anything here, and they changed everything...)

The salient corrigenda:

Legal Edit/Addendum: This sale offering is only of this single copy of the work. No publication or distribution rights are included in this sale.

Good Faith Attribution: There is no copyright notice on the piece, but pursuant to the 1978 U.S. Copyright Law, we must presume that this Work (i.e. the content, the text and graphics, of which this is a copy) is Copyright (c) E. Gary Gygax and/or his corporation, i.e. Trigee Enterprises Corp. of Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, USA.

Last edited by scribe on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragon #5

Chromatic-Knight
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170221214196

Nice grab.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever happened with this woograin? http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Woodgrain-D-D-Dungeons-Dragons-Gygax-Items_W0QQitemZ110252727286QQihZ001QQcategoryZ44114QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh. Daggone near missed this....

Talaran by ECI for AD&D

Very tough to find. At least it was many years ago. Hardly any bids at all!

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing with Fire

Call me crazy, but I like this sort of thing. It speaks about popular culture at the time that D&D was proliferating.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Gen Con goodies

Chromatic-Knight
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsr hobbies lizard man buckle

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360055682866&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=023

ended at $270.00

Last edited by Chromatic-Knight on Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MPC Dungeon Invaders

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting copy of Dragon #1:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160247549534

harami
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chromatic-Knight wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360055682866&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=023

ended at $270.00

Interesting price!
Must admit I liked that one quite a bit since it has presumably been worn and the oxidisation/wear gives a somewhat better look than a shiny "new" buckle, IMHO.

(@Lance, if passing by: still needing one? Laughing)

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsojconth

In case it wasn't posted yet. I like to update the auction data forums based on the various results I post to these threads.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragon #1

Aussie D3

OolEurts
Cataloguer
Cataloguer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chromatic-Knight wrote:

ended at $270.00

Wow! I think my Lizardman buckle sold for a bit under $100 about a year ago. Prices on rare TSR keep pushing higher...

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Prices on rare TSR keep pushing higher...

It does seem so. Have you noticed how the mid-level TSR collectibles are coming out at a trickle now? I expect the availability of the high-end stuff to fall through the floor. Ebay's been fat with the high end for a year now, but that level of availability is unsustainable. That could change, of course, if collectors decide to start letting some things go.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange B3

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coverless Jade Hare

Gateway to Adventure Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: